I have realized I need the sun. I was so happy to have the sun the last couple of days. Nicole and I went to J& J Nursery in Layton today and I spent the late afternoon planting. It was so fun. Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies. I was able to get a few English Daisy's, some ground covers, and a Hydrangea plant for inside. They have so many things to choose from it is hard to decide. I love walking through their houses. I am looking forward to may when I can really get into the flowers. With Spring slowly arriving , I will have no problem skipping out on clothes shopping for gardening. I can spend my days outside getting dirty.
The problem with the weather so hot and cold is the damn deer. Two weeks ago I planted two flats of pansies and not two days later, they were gone. I have no tulips, Day lily, or pansies left. The winter has been hard on them as well and they have needed nourishment...in my yard. Let's hope they don't show up tonight...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Last week for family home evening, we planted seeds in our garage. I have never planted a vegetable garden and I'm a little nervous. Wade and I have talked about planting a garden for years but we finally have begun. We will let the seeds germinate in our garage for a bit while the weather warms up a little more. I can't wait to see which veggies we have the most success with. The boys were excited to learn about seeds and they couldn't believe a carrot could grow from a tiny little seed. I know our prophets have been telling us to plant gardens, have food storage, and be prepared since I was in Primary but this is the first time I have really thought I absolutely need to do this. We are really excited to see the results. Hopefully we will end up with some carrots, corn, squash, cucumbers, basil, strawberries, peas, beans, and my favorite tomatoes. There is nothing better than fresh vegetables.
9 comments:
what?
Great job and I completely understand the desire to have flowers and plants in your yard and Mother Nature has other plans. But hopefully she decides so that Spring is finally here. Good luck on your seeds!
I love planting. I would really be mad at those deer about my tulips and you and nicole are in trouble for not stopping by while you were so close to my hous.
Jess, I too love gardening! I want my own little version of temple square in my yard. I think I would love being a full time gardener and much prefer yard work over house work. Sorry about the deer. My in-laws are going through the same thing at their house. You fight the deer on the mountain and we get eaten by mosquitos on the west side!
You know my dad's solution to any unwanted animal on his property. Maybe you could try it. I remember Jason being a good aim, oh wait. I probably just really upset all your animal-loving blog readers.
I noticed your beautiful flowers as I was driving by yesterday, they look great!
Looks like you are headed off to a great start!! I will trade my fruit for your vegetables. I told Steve to plant some vegetables but he always goes over board with fruit and plants. There is nothing like fresh produce. I wish it lasted all year long.
Well you always make everyone else on the street bad with your yard looking so fabulous! We need some tips! We are doing the vegetables for the first time this year too! Hopefully they will turn out!
Good blog Jessie.
Post a Comment