Saturday, September 25, 2010
Book Blurb!
I am a bit behind and just finished reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I enjoyed the first two books... teen fiction at it's best. But all I have been thinking since I started reading the third was where did she come up with these names? They keep getting worse. I know it is futuristic but Fluvia, it sounds like a female body part. Flatus sounds like flatulence. I realize I may seem immature but I am not doing it on purpose, they are really weird names. Haven't there been "John's" around for centuries? Just because there is a passage of time doesn't mean the names really change that much? Elizabeth has been around forever. What about Michael? I have several "Michael's" in my own family. I don't think the name is overused it is just a good classical name. I guess maybe some do because my great grandmother's name was Effie but her middle name was Lucille... my niece is Lucy. Throughout all three novels, the names of Petah, Gayle (girl name), and Katniss never really flowed for me. I guess I am too much of a traditionalist. Over all the books were enjoyable minus Katniss becoming weak. Couldn't she have stayed tough?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I only really liked the 1st book. I thought the names were weird, too.
I am totally with you on the names in the book. I really liked the Hunger Games, and the second one was pretty good. I was disappointed in how much of a wuss Katniss was in this last one, always hiding in closets and whatever.
I love the series but I completely agree with you with the names, it was too much...As for Katniss, I figure she finally broke down...for a kid that was only 17 and have gone all she had gone through, it's a miracle she was so strong for so long.
Post a Comment