Sunday, October 17, 2010

St. George Marathon

looking tired just before crossing the finish line
 Two weeks ago I ran the St. George Marathon.  I have been chasing that goal for awhile.  Four years ago I trained and got Pneumonia the week before and I had to drop out.  I remember watching Wade & Todd cross the finish line and trying not to cry because I wanted to be with them.  But alas I did it!  Yeah me!  I did it all by myself...not really.  Wade was so great to make sure I could always get my long runs in.  He loves to golf and I'm sure the running cramped his golf game.  He was so supportive and I couldn't have done it without him.    He documented the event rather extensively so here are my photos.
The starting line the day before the race

A lot of bathrooms

Jack's Sign

Dan's Sign



Sign's from my fan club (family & friends)


 I had a lot of support.  I felt so lucky to have so many friends and family there to cheer for me.  I had signs about every four miles and they were huge and I couldn't miss them.  It gave me something to look forward too and it was a nice distraction.

Finished!
It was such a hot day.  Before the race the announcer at the starting line kept talking about how it was the hottest start in the history of the St. George Marathon.  I was like Shut up and quit reminding me.  My quads cramped up and I had to get Icy Hot rub downs (Thanks  Julie for the tip). 
Awesome sight
 I finished in 4:14.  I was hoping to be a little faster but I was happy with my finish.  I was glad I didn't need the National Guard to carry me to the finish and I was glad I didn't immediately collapse once I got there.  Running a marathon is a rush I can't put into words but I am so glad I did it.  The body is an amazing thing and it is capable of much more than we think.  I watched a man in a wheel chair struggling up the Veyo hill and I so wanted to push him but I thought if he can do this without legs than I can surly do it with them.  Thank you everyone for helping me accomplish my goal.  Cheri ran with me almost every Saturday since June.  Sometimes she would go 8-12 miles and I know running is not her favorite.  Nicole, Wade, Todd, and my Mom (she is a very accomplished marathoner)  ran with me throughout my training.   I had so many people to support me at the finish line and along the course I felt so lucky.  I had friends who coached me and helped prepare me for the race.  When I got home I had signs and presents to welcome me back.  THANKS!

10 comments:

Cheri said...

WOOT WOOT!!! you did it!!

Julie Keddington said...

You are amazing! That is a marathon you can definitely be proud of!

Sarah said...

way to go cute girl- that is so so awesome. you don't even look tired at the finish line. maybe one day we can run one together. cheers to ya.

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

Your awesome!!! I'm so proud of you. I love the signs especially the nordstrom one. I feel bad you didn't mention all the long runs and gym trips I went with you:) oh ya , that was only in my dreams.

Charlotte said...

Wow, what an accomplishment! You are awesome! You didn't look tired you just looked super fit and lean. I can't even imagine how tired you felt though. You probably had some of the best signs there. Kind of one of the coolest parts about being a mom I think.

Jen said...

Jess you are awesome and such a inspiration. I think I might now at least be open to the idea of doing a full marathon.

Amanda said...

Way to go! I loved the signs. I hope you have had a celebratory Nordstroms trip.

Heather said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!

Kim Ward said...

Great Job Jess. I loved the signs. Nordstrom sale was my favorite. I love you!

Tami Harris said...

That is soo awesome! Congrats, you are truly amazing!