Saturday, August 30, 2008

August Update

Preface-August is usually my favorite month, this year it has been my least favorite. This is a bit of a rant so sorry but I am a Larsen and we rant.

This month has been so filled with stuff and I haven't had anytime to read or write blogs. I have been preoccupied with several things. First and most difficult my dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer. The word cancer just sucks. On the 18th he had his kidney and adrenal gland removed. My dad has had several health problems and the last time he went under anesthesia he had a heart attack so the worry and frustration were compounded. His surgery was successful and the pathology report showed he had a stage four cancer. Kidney cancer is hard to detect as there are no real identifiable symptoms and so I am very thankful he had an MRI for something else and they spotted the tumor. My dad is the even flow in our family and I can't even think about not having him around. He balances my mom perfectly and she balances him. He is also the perfect grandpa and my kids need him. I was a little sad one day and Jackson asked me what was wrong and I told him I was worried about Grandpa and he said "he will be o.k. because you need your dad" I remember thinking Jack is very perceptive. My dad is recovering nicely and we are very optimistic. I am thankful for such a good family. I cherish my relationships with them and feel very lucky to have each person.
Sick kids. I hate it when my boys are sick and they have had a rough month. They had some nasty stomach flu that lasted two weeks. Too bad they didn't start at the same time. It was super weird because they would be fine one day and vomiting the next. I washed the sheets so many times. I am a little too pregnant to be changing the sheets on the top bunk bed every day!
One night Wade and I were just laughing because we didn't sleep at all. Jason tended for us one night during the vomit party and we thought the kids were o.k. We were wrong. Jason must really love them because he was thrown up on in the love sac and he just took care of it. He didn't call us to come home but he did call Nicole to help. (that is why I love my family) . Then we finally had recovered from the stomach thing and Wade and Daniel got some nasty cold. Finally Jackson has been running a fairly high fever the last couple of days. I hope we get all this stuff out of our system now so we can have a healthy home for our new baby.
My birthday is in August and it occurred during the vomit party. Not a fun day. The air conditioner also broke on my birthday and it was a mere 100 degrees that day.
Finally I mentioned our crazy home improvement projects. They are a mess. Progress has been made but it is starting to ware on my pregnant nerves. Wade has finished all of his woodwork and our painters are a little over half way. They should finish on Tuesday. I really like our painters they have done an awesome job and they clean up after themselves which I love. I guess your miserable the last month of pregnancy and your miserable when your kids are sick and your miserable when you do home improvement, and your miserable when your dad is sick so they might as well all happen at the same time!!

7 comments:

Kirstin Schmidt said...

I am so sorry for you Jessica! That is terrible. My Dad had Colon Cancer right before Steve and I got married. It was terrible trying to plan a wedding an have him sick. My Mom almost died last year having a hysterectomy. She was in the NICU for 7 weeks. I know the feeling. We are too young to not have our parents and our kids are too young not to have their grandparents. If you ever need anything let me know. I definately know how to order take out. Good look with the cankles. Steve called me the Cankle Queen! I love it. You are a brave woman!! Remember when it rains, it pours!! Keep the Faith. I will pray for you and I hope your baby comes soon!

Brandice said...

My father-in-law died from cancer after being diagnosed only 6 weeks before. You are right -- even the WORD sucks. I will pray for your dad. He sounds like such a great guy. There are some things you don't know how you will get through, but then you do, and you are lucky to have such an awesome family to share the hard times (and the vomit) with. By the way, I'm not pregnant, and I can't change the sheets on the top bunk very well either. You are a better woman than I.

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

I'm so glad to hear that your dad's surgery went well. I've been so worried and praying for you. Jackson's right, "You do need your dad." He's an amazing father with increadible kids/grandkids. We miss you guys.

Turpin Times said...

Glad to hear Jerry is doing better.

Turpin Times said...

PS - Nice background :)

Jerry said...

Jessica it is fun to read your thoughts. I love you and your family. The boys are so much fun. Its fun to watch them grow and compare them to their parents. You write such nice things about me. love Dad

Heather said...

Here's to a better August next year!