Saturday, February 14, 2009

Winter itch!


I have dry skin. My boys have dry skin. The winter hits and my skin starts cracking. By nature I am an itchy person. As a child my parents would slather me in lotion and my mom eventually made me wear mittens to bed to stop the scratching. I know I should be embarrassed but I'm not because my kids are exactly the same. It is proof that I was not making it up or it wasn't in my head. I just itch. I always want my back scratched and my husband and family I know are sick of this but it is real. My hair sheds and there will be a loose hair on me some place and it just drives me crazy and makes me itch. My relief comes from Wade tickling my back or I make my boys scratch my back for five minutes before I get out of bed. . . slave labor.

Since I cannot be scratched all the time I have searched high and low for the best moisturizer. I believe Cetaphil is the winner. I have been using this for about ten years and I love it. It is fragrance free which is a must for me and I love the texture -creamy but not greasy. Most products are heavily perfumed or too greasy but Cetaphil is just right. I slather it on after every bath and generally before I go to bed. My boys who all three have eczema use it as well. Daniel gets mad when I put it on his face and tries to wipe his rosy cheeks on the carpet to get the stuff off but it makes a huge difference. You can buy it at most drug stores but I usually buy it at Costco and you can save a couple bucks. There is also a generic but it is hard to find. It is sometimes at Winegar's of all places and it is about half price. So if any of you suffer from the Winter Itch give Cetaphil a try your skin will thank you.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

It is amazing that everyone doesn't know about cetaphil. It is the best.

Heather said...

I remember the gloves and the plastic bags. And I remember the scabs!

Natty said...

I too love Cetaphil. I actually use it on my face after I wash it at night.

Shauna Hardy said...

Cetaphil has worked wonders on Ashley's skin...I don't know how we did without it before!!!

Turpin Times said...

Thanks for the tip, Jess. I'm going to try it. My boys hate when I put smelly lotion on them. But seriously, boys stink.

Leslie said...

Funny thing is that I didn't know what what was eczema until I had my children because I never suffer it and neither did my family. Moisturizing is so IMPORTANT for those who suffer this and I agree that Cetaphil is one of the best!

Jerry said...

I think I have even a better winter lotion. It is Amalactin. I think that is the correct spelling. Mom