The Hilton we never got to exploreLast week we went to Texas to see Kim and her family. It was quite the adventure. Thursday in the middle of the night I woke up and immediately knew I had strep throat. Our plane was leaving at 10:00 a.m. and I was laying in my bed at 2:00 a.m. wondering what I was going to do. I woke up at 6:30 to get ready and I had a fever and felt like crap. Many of you know that I am the Strep throat queen. Not a title I want but for some reason I fall prey to the Strep. So I slowly got ready wondering what to do. I found some antibiotics in the house and decided to start self medicating. I know your not supposed to that but I'm telling you I know when I have Strep.
The plane ride was hideous and the flight attendants were hags. Honestly I have never been on a flight with ruder flight attendants. I was going to tell them off but Wade wouldn't let me. He secretly wanted me to but I had decided not to waste my energy on them. I got off the plane and waited with Luke and the luggage while Wade went to get the car. He was gone FOREVER. My phone broke and I had a serious fever. Patience isn't always my best virtue.
He arrived and we started off for Rockwall. I tried to sleep but I was in bad shape. When we got to Kim's she was at the doctor because she was quite sick as well. The trip was starting off really bad. We hung out and went to dinner that night and then we went back to get a good night's sleep. Whatever! Luke didn't sleep well and neither did I. I think I got about two hours of sleep. The next morning I had a fever of 104. I decided I had better go see a real doctor and not just my own personal pharmacy. So I went to the Insta-care and I was right I had Strep. They did give me better drugs. I brought good stuff and that is what they prescribed but they also gave me a shot of antibiotics and a shot of steroids. I was seriously ill. It came on so fast. The steroids completely made me feel better. It was insta-energy.
Then we went to Kim's and she was feeling better. We let the kids play and did a few little chores. Then we decided to go to dinner and to the Container Store. I've always wanted to go to a Container Store. On the drive into Dallas Jack started complaining of a soar throat and he also had a fever. Seriously this vacation was bad. So we got him his antibiotics and ate dinner and decided to go back to the hotel for some sleep.
Luke wouldn't go to sleep. He was super restless and wild. I couldn't figure out what was wrong but I just thought he was not used to his surroundings. After a couple of hours of bawling Wade took him for a drive. He came back and he was asleep but I just didn't have a good feeling. I couldn't let myself fall asleep because he was breathing so raspy and rapidly. I was saying a little prayer wondering how you know when something is wrong and it's not just a crazy mom feeling and I just jumped up and knew. I woke Wade up and told him something was really wrong and Luke needed to go to the hospital. I think he thought I was crazy but then he knew also. We called and found out the hospital was less than one mile away. He took him to the emergency room and they gave him steroids and epinephrine. His oxygen was 87. His airway was occluded and he had croup. Luke always has a little rapid breath and sounds a little throaty so I had no idea. Wade called me and told me they were transferring him to the Children's Hospital in Dallas via ambulance. He spent Saturday in the hospital but did really well. We were able to return to our hotel that evening.
.jpg)
It was the scariest thing ever. Sorry Kim for the not fun visit. It was still great to see the Ward family but wasn't quite what I had planned. Next time will be better. The kids still had fun in spite of the sicknesses. Kim took the kids swimming at our hotel while we were at the hospital and it wouldn't be swimming with Daniel without a bathroom problem ( a blog for another time). They also rode bikes like crazy and just loved playing with their cousins.
At least we have one photo not in the hospital.
Thanks Kim for all the help and sorry for the lame visit.
BTW Daniel has had Strep this week! Hopefully we will be all recovered for school next week.
BTW Daniel has had Strep this week! Hopefully we will be all recovered for school next week.
14 comments:
Vacation of Bust. This one was a bust. Sorry. Better luck next time. I miss you.
Jess how awful! I'm sorry you had such a bad time. Being sick is bad enough but I can't imagine being sick on vacation. Way to go on following through on the mother's intuition. I'm glad Luke is ok!
It was sad the first time you told me the vacay story but when I saw Luke in the hospital it brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry that you had such a crappy time. DisneyWorld here you come..:)
How horrible and scary. It is scary enough to have sick kids, but I can't imagine having sick kids on vacation. I would have been a mess. Glad everything turned out okay.
There is nothing worse than being sick and being out of town at the same time!! I am so sorry that you had such a hard time, poor little Luke. I am glad that everyone got home safe and sound though! My kids all have a cold right now, so I guess sick season is starting early??? No fun.
That's a terrible vacation! I'm glad you're all okay now - so sorry about Luke. It really does suck to be away from home when you're sick.
I'm so gald Luke is Okay. I can't imagine how scary that would be. Thank goodness you followed your prompting and went to the hospital when you did.
Oh my goodness...what a nightmare for you and your family. Thank goodness you listened to that small voice that was telling you that Luke wasn't okay! Need to have a redo on your vacation with your friend Kim.
Unbelievable. Mothers know best.
Poor luke. I am sorry you had a sad vaction. It is so sad when the little guys are in the hospital. Briggs had RSV at two months. I hated all the wires they are hook to.
What an unfortunate vacation, I hope that you can go back soon and have a better experience.
Man, sorry about your trip! That's terrible! I hate those "is it just the paranoid mom feeling" feelings. I'm so glad you got the heads-up to take him to the hospital. I hope everybody is doing better!
Bummer. I am glad you got to go see Kim though. I bet she loved seeing family. Sorry your little guy had to go to the ER. That is so scary! I am glad you are all on the mend!
What a story. I guess everyone has crazy stuff happen but it does seem like when it rains it pours.
Sorry you didn't get to shop in Texas because it is great. Love, MOM
Post a Comment