Sunday, November 16, 2008

Kung Fu Panda


I have mentioned before that my mom gives "treasures" to my boys. Kathy is very frugal and has a difficult time parting with her stuff or anyone else's. I on the other hand have no problem throwing stuff out. She torments me with this junk but it makes my kids so happy. They get pens that look like shots, earmuffs (yes I said earmuffs-they are hanging in Jack's closet), rocks, ugly old jewelry from my childhood, and whatever she finds around the house. Every Sunday they get excited for their "treasures". I am never excited and neither is Wade. Jack is a real pack rat and enjoys junk. I remember my nephew Wyatt always wanting our garbage and I didn't understand. My little Jack has also developed his scavenger side. Daniel is not as into it he would rather have candy but they both look forward to visiting Grandma for they know they will come home with something. We generally try to sneak the stuff to the trash sometime throughout the week but often Jack catches us and doesn't let us get rid of it.

So the other day I went to help in Jack's class and my mom came and tended Daniel and Luke and while I was gone she snuck in a treasure . . . a ginormous panda bear. I remember Jason winning this bear for Michael when he was like five ( Michael gets home from his mission in ten days). So this bear has been around a while and has had some scars. Daniel loves this bear and thinks it is Po from Kung Fu Panda. My kids love this movie they saw it with their dad and with my mom. Basically I am stuck with it. Maybe I can give it away when Daniel is on his mission. I know I should be tough and throw it out because it is old and huge and sheds all over but if you knew how much Daniel loved Kung Fu Panda you would tell me to keep it forever. Now he something to practice his Kung Fu moves on.


Jack in his awesome earmuffs. Thanks Mom!!


Dan asleep with his panda.


Asleep on his panda.



He fell asleep with his panda and his panda blanket while watching t.v.

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Our mother has some throwing away issues but if it helps her and makes them so happy I call it a win win. Even though that last picture looks like the panda had an accident.

Leslie said...

How funny and frustrating for you and Wade! At least your children would have great memories of those "treasures" they got for grandma.

Kim Ward said...

You have to keep the Panda! Dan loves it and those pictures are so cute. I've been laughing through this whole entry. Don't you remember our grandma giving us treasures when we left her house? I always looked forward to it, it was probably stuff she was just trying to part with. This will be a great memory for the boys!

Heather said...

But the periodic charts are making your boys smarter. That's another bonus of your mom's random treasures.

Amanda said...

I am sympathetic in favor of the Panda. I love pandas, and he's so cute! It sounds like your boys LOVE her in part for the treasures - that's what makes grandmas fun. Is Michael going to feel bad that his Panda has a new home?

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Oh my goodness!! Maybe you should buy it some Po clothes so it doesn't shed!! Isaac catches me throwing Happy Meal toys away all the time and yells at me for throwing them in the garbage! I too hate junk. I now have to take a trip out to the garbage can after he goes to bed! Then he asks for it the next day and I just simply state he must have misplaced it! Some of the time it works and some of the time we take a trip to McDonalds for another one! Good luck with the junk. Daniel will hopefully grow out of Panda soon!

Chrystie said...

Awwwww, the picture of Daniel snuggled up with the Panda in his bed is priceless. So sweet, so much love for the ratty old panda.

Julie Keddington said...

I've got a bag lady named Lizzie that lives at my house. You wouldn't believe the junk she collects (bits of wrapping paper, containers, containers and more containers, leftover anything, rubber bands, etc.) It drives me crazy because I am definitely not a pack rat. She has set up firm rules that I am to ask her about her possessions before I take anything to the D.I. (or the garbage can). That's not going to happen. That girl has more stuffed animals than anyone could ever imagine...and she still wants more. Treasures from grandmas are a different story, however.

Shauna Hardy said...

How could you not keep the big panda when Daniel looks so cute sleeping with it! How fun...they will always remember their grandma for the fun "treasures". Isn't it crazy what kids get all worked up over?

Jerry said...

Dan is an amazing fellow. He loves his grandma. He had a blast with her yesterday.Just think at least 21 more years of trures for your family. You and your faimily are among my most important treasures.

The Taylor Family said...

Too funny, I love the war wounds on the backside of Po Panda!

Jocelyn said...

Hey Viper....love this entry tell little Po hi for me. :) Tigress