Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Books Worms

                                                                                                                                   














 We love to read.  All of my boys are obsessed with books.  It starts really young.  My favorite time of day is when I read to my kids.  My sister Nicole is always telling me I have too many books but I can't help myself.  I love books and I love that my boys love books.  I am amazed how early they recognize rhyme and pattern in books.  It is surprising how much I learn reading kid's books.  I look forward to reading everyday and even hope to sneak in some of my own reading.  Luke definatley has his favorites already.  Some of our family favorites are:

  • Goodnight Moon
  • Dr. Seuss {all}
  • Amelia Bedelia {one of my childhood favs}
  • Where The Red Fern Grows
  • Judy Blume Fudge series
  • Roald Dahl {everything}
  • Stone Soup
  • No David
  • Click Clack Moo
  • Polar Express
  • Mo Willems {all}
  • Old Yellar
  • Pat the Bunny
  • Eric Carle {everything}
  • The Box Car Children Series
  • Narnia Series
  • Harry Potter Series
 I hope my boys will always love to read.  It is the best way to learn.  I am surprised at how much Jackson has learned from books.  He is always informing things about the earth, animals, and space.  Daniel loves books also and is very interested in reading.  He is making his way through little short CAT books and he is doing great.  He can't wait until he can stay up and read by flashlight.  Luke walks around with books demanding that we read to him.  Jack is currently reading Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire and has informed me at least 10 times that it has 734 pages in it.

I have recently read The Hunger Games and The Help and have satisfied my reading bug this week.  I feel like with kids books I have ran the gamete and then I will discover something new.  What are you reading to your kids or to yourself?  I am always looking for new ideas.

4 comments:

Heather said...

James picks up new books every week at the library. He really likes I Stink, I'm Mighty and I'm Dirty. And of course, all the Curious George books. Some of those old ones are fun to look at the pictures. He's also quite into the Friend magazine these days (or as he calls it, his maZaGine. Books are the best. Thanks for the tips.

Natty said...

Drake loves books too. He loves the I Spy books, and "Your Personal Penguin." He also loves "The Wheels on the Bus," "Peek a Who?," and the big ABC and animal books. He definitely has his favs too. I hope he loves to read like your boys. It is fantastic!

Leslie said...

My family loves books and we have many in our home and those we borrow for the library...we just read, the series 1 thru 7 of "The Sisters Grimm" by Michael Buckley, Awesome Series...great twist on the fairytale characters.(reading level for 9 years and up)book 8 is coming out in May, We also read the series of "Percy Jackson and The Olympians" by Rick Riordan, there's 5 books in this series and it was a great to discuss them with Isaac. Nate's love "The diary of the Wimpy Kid" these books are so funny!!!! Mya's favorites are "anything princess and the "Fancy Nancy Books". Girl my list is long but the love of reading is one of the greatest gift you can teach your children.

Cheri said...

Boo loves this book called "Go Away Big Green Monster". it has cut outs and lots of color. She is just now discovering that she likes books and it makes me happy. My favorite kids books include Eric Carle books. Like "The Very Quiet Cricket and Dream Snow"(not as well known).