Thursday, October 8, 2009

Finishing School


Who knew I needed to go to Finishing School? I actually have known my entire life that I could improve my domestication skills. So I'm enrolled in a sewing class at the Finishing School in Salt Lake. My friend Jocelyn and I are loving it. I'm in the middle of my first project and I really enjoy having time set aside each week to learn something and work on a hobby. Yesterday we learned shirring and ruffles. Hopefully I will soon post a picture of my first project. I love fabrics, patterns, and textures and it is a relaxing way to spend an evening. Jocelyn is much more ambitious than I and so it's nice to be pushed. We've always said we were going to be designers of something but since we can't draw or sew we were kind of at a stand still. Hopefully we will be one step further. If not, we are having a lot of fun.

10 comments:

Kim Ward said...

Sounds like fun. I am actually starting to develop an interest in sewing, it has taken awhile but I'm thinking I want to learn.

Chrystie said...

How fun. I am soooo domestically challenged it isn't even funny. I don't sew and I barely cook. I think that you would be a fabulous designer, you have such good taste. I will be looking for you on Project Runway soon :)

Leslie said...

That so AWESOME...great for you. It a great tool to learn especially if you're having fun at it!

Brandice said...

What is shirring? I can barely sew pajama pants. Actually I can ONLY sew pajama pants. I am excited to see your projects. Nice going! I didn't even know finishing school was an option if you didn't live back east or in the south.

Amanda said...

That sounds like fun . . . especially the night away doing something out!

Heather said...

Cool Jess. You are full of talent so I don't know what you are talking about. Can't wait to see the projects.

Jocelyn said...

Jess...I am so glad you agreed to try this crazy class with me. It is so much fun even if your teacher is a little bit nutty. Lova ya.

Tami Harris said...

That is very cool. That's funny you're doing that...I told Jeff about a month ago, I thought it would be cool to get a sewing machine and learn how to sew. He looked at me like I was crazy and rolled his eyes...ok, subject dropped.

Sarah said...

love the finishing school- is it Sue Hess's? She is great. WIsh I could do this with you- I defnitely need a night out that's for sure. Can't wait to see what you make. miss you.

Jerry said...

I am so happy that I have girls that now want to learn to sew. I am well aware that I am a terrible teacher and maybe more so with sewing. Love, MOM