Sunday, October 11, 2009

laundry for dummies


my laundry room (how embarrassing)

Laundry is my nemesis. I'm actually decent at it but I hate to do it. My mom is fabulous at laundry and I think it is one of her favorite tasks. What am I talking about...they are all her favorite. But she is exceptional at laundry. My sisters will attest to this. I have had several major stains and my mom is always able to fix them. So I thought I would ask the expert to share with those of us who are not as talented her best laundry advice.

  • Do all clothes the same day (Monday for us). Putting away one is much easier than doing it all the time. She suggests having a spot or a basket for each person and stacking together and then putting it all away at the same time. I however walk back and forth all day long. Tomorrow I'm off to get an additional basket.
  • Towels and bedding on another day. When you have large families you are often too tired to finish everything in the same day.
  • Sorting is of utmost importance. Whites and like colors. She also does a denim pile. During this time it is important to check pockets for pens, crayons gum etc... and spot treat. When Wade has done the laundry I have found shoes in the wash not once but twice. He skipped the sorting section.
  • Fold IMMEDIATELY! This cuts down on wrinkles which cuts down on ironing. We grew up ironing so this is an extremely important step and the most difficult for me. I always end up with double the ironing. If your clothes are ironed and in the closet then when you are rushed to go you don't need to worry about pressing a shirt everything is ready to wear!
  • Tide & Clorox 2. Name brands may not seem important but I will attest to the difference. Tide is the best. Although I do switch it up with Kirkland just because I get bored of the same smell and I always like to be able to smell the clean laundry. Clorox 2 is the best spot treatment and also works great with whites. If you wear garments it is vital because straight bleach turns them a dingy yellow color.
I have one final tip. Don't let your husband help! It usually backfires. Wade is great at most everything but I happen to be better at laundry than he is. Hopefully these tips will help some of you. I know that when I do it this way it works the best but since I'm ADD (self diagnosed) I struggle with staying on task. Also it helps me if I race my sisters. Since we all do it on the same day and we are crazy and competitive it is a recipe for success!

If you want to read a scary laundry story go to Kim's latest post.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I need to go and sort right now so that is why I cannot write a blog.

Kirstin Schmidt said...

I too have a post very similar to this. My mom too is a laundry diva. It's good to know that perfect Jessica has few quirks in her closet or should I say laundry room. Thanks for the tips but I don't think they will work. For I am a laundry BOZO!

Heather said...

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to get some Clorox2. What do you do when you have a stain that you missed and it gets dried? On a colored shirt.

Kim Ward said...

Good Post Jess. Mom is the best at laundry and I try to do it her way, but not quite as diligently. I miss you and love you. Thanks for talking to Andrew last night. He came up to me and said, "Can I call Jess?" He misses home almost as much as me, the poor little guy. Love you.

Jerry said...

Jessica,
Thanks for the complement. I think you made my tips sound better than I did. Love, MOM