My sister-in-law Jill was married yesterday. In preparation for the wedding I was in charge of the dress. Jill found some pictures of dresses she liked and we went shopping a couple of months ago. A lot of the dresses are a little cheesy and very similar. Jill found a shop she really liked and they had great dresses that were all a little unique. The problem was they were designer dresses and the dresses we liked were in the $4000.00 dollar range. Yikes! I know people spend this much on dresses they just don't live in between the coasts. I often wonder how people spend as much as they do on their weddings but I guess if you don't want to go in debt you end up with a plainer dress. Not what we wanted.
I had my dress made by a fantastic seamstress named Penelope. So that was my recommendation. We met with her and drew up some ideas. My dream job is to be a designer but since I possess none of the skills it is that...a dream. After a few meetings and fittings the dress was done. We loved it. Jill went to pick it up after Penelope put in the zipper and adjusted the sleeves. She called me panicked because she thought it was too small. I went down to her house and I couldn't get it zipped. I told her I thought the zipper was broken but we continued to try. We called Patty (Jill's friend) for reinforcement. We could not get it zipped. We used pliers. I got a huge blister and it finally zipped and it split from the bottom. Crap. I broke the dress. It is not a good feeling to be the breaker of the wedding dress one week from the wedding. I felt bad but I knew the dress was too small and so did Jill. So we hopped in the car and drove to Penelope's with Jill in the dress. It was Friday at about 6:00 p.m. so we were glad she was still there. I think she was a little annoyed but she's the one who measured right? She let the dress out over the weekend and after a couple other little problems Jill picked it up on Wednesday. She was getting married on Saturday so it was cutting it close. She didn't even zip it up all the way before the wedding because she didn't want to stress anymore. She had a J. Crew as a back up just in case.
When I zipped it up yesterday I was so nervous and praying the entire time that there wouldn't be a zipper emergency. It turned out perfect. I loved being able to help. Thanks Jill for letting me help find your perfect dress.
Side note: Jill is tiny. I don't know how she could have measured her any smaller. She is a size two and couldn't look better.
10 comments:
Jill looks beautiful! Good work Jess! Now you've got two visits to plan!
What an adventure!!! That's crazy about the zipper but at least all worked out at the end. She does look Beautiful.
Congratulations to Jill. She looks beautiful. If you have more pictures of her and she doesn't mind I would love to see them.
How fun. Weddings are such great things to be a part of. I'm glad she found a great guy. I hope you had a fun day with her. She is a beauty (that makes her sound like a car, but she is quite pretty!).
Something always seems to go wrong with any wedding. At least it wasn't on the wedding day. The dress looks beautiful!
Congratulations Jill! You deserve every happiness. I would have loved to see Jill as a bride. Jess don't worry someday we will design.
I love the dress, it is perfect! Jess, you have amazing designer skills. I can't wait until you post the pics of the boys, they looked so cute. Congrats Jill! I am so happy for you.
I love this story! Congrats to Jill!! I would also like to see more pictures, maybe on FB if you don't want to post them on your blog.
Congratulations to Jill. She deserves the very best. You guys will be traveling all of the time. Love MOM
Post a Comment