Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lent


Nicole turned 35 on Monday. Happy Birthday Nicca. As one of my gifts to her I am participating in "Lent" with Nicole. She wants me to give up soda and sugar for 30 days. These are two things that are near and dear to me. So I agreed to the sugar and I would cut back to only 1 soda per day. That may not seem like I'm cutting back but for me it is significant. Today was day three and I'm dragging. I find great pleasure in my sugar and soda buzz. Also when I go to Lake Powell I may have to pause my "Lent" because Lake Powell wouldn't be the same without soda and sweets. I think I've lost a pound a day since starting so I guess there is a bright side. Nicole has recruited several people into this game and we will see who lasts. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I saw Wade at lunch today and he said "you just don't look like yourself without your Diet Mt. Dew." That should probably scare me but it doesn't. I think I've lost a little part of my soul.

Coconut cupcakes have become my latest favorite baked good. Instead of making my favorite treats I will blog about them in hopes someone else will be able to enjoy. This is a delicious treat and a new favorite. The recipe comes from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten with a few of my own substitutions. I usually add extra vanilla and extra sugar to all my recipes. Also in this recipe she calls for almond extract but I prefer to use coconut extract. The combination of this icing and cake is perfect.

Hopefully I will learn moderation and will power in this little lesson. Enjoy!

13 comments:

Sarah said...

you are definitely stronger than me- there is truly NO way I could go without sweets. I have tried and failed. This is surely a weakness in me. Not sure how you are going to manage no soda- I know that is just apart of you. Good Luck and keep us posted on your 30 journey.

Kim Ward said...

Ambitious, I don't think I could do that. Maybe Soda, but I don't know. Good luck!

Heather said...

Good luck Jess! Can you eat fruit? That cupcake looks delish.

Heather said...

Hi Kim!

Jen said...

You need to post your exact recipe, I want to try it.

Cheri said...

Good luck.. I know you can do it!!

Jocelyn said...

These look amazing...BTW...this not sugar thing is killing me....

Leslie said...

Good luck you're a braver woman than I!!!

Turpin Times said...

Good luck Jess. I can do without soda, no big deal. But sweets? YO! I'm not so sure I could go without for 30 days. Good luck to you.

Nicole said...

A pound a day sounds like I'm giving you a gift. And it isn't even your birthday. I think it is VERY hard. I have been a little grumpy and I need a nap everyday.

Tami Harris said...

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?? I will eat and drink and think of you, have a moment for you! :D

Jerry said...

Well I am now on day 5 of no sugar and only 2 sodas per day 12oz. I haven't lost even an ounce and it is kind of maddening. Also Lake Powell with very little soda will be tough. I hope we can all do it. Love, MOM

Natty said...

Don't torture yourself at Lake Powell. I have been off caffeine since being pregnant with Drake, but my husband is addicted. Seriously addicted. Good luck.