My kids usually wake around 7ish. Sometimes I stay in bed reading to them and sometimes we just start moving. Today we were moving. We had a long list of stuff to do. Luke had is 9 month checkup, Jack and Dan swimming lessons, me lunch, make homemade ice-cream for youth conference, book club,....blah blah. Anyway I hate not having a moment to think so I get flustered. I told the boys they needed to do their chores. We have "Morning 5" and "Evening 5" This includes: getting dressed, brushing teeth, eating & clearing dishes, making bed, saying prayers, picking up room. They get stickers on a chart each time they complete their "5" in hopes of having enough stickers to earn prizes. They are slow. They are not focused.
Today I was flustered. They were doddling and I had stuff to do. Luke kept picking up little stickers and things and putting them in his mouth. I calmly explained the importance of keeping "little things" off the floor. I continue to clean the kitchen and the boys were doing their chores (I thought) and then Jack yells that Luke has something in his mouth. I finger sweep his mouth and get out a sticker. Dan was playing with stickers. This happened two times after we had picked everything up. The phone rings. They doddle more. I finally yell "get their *@$% off the floor." I know I lost it. You shouldn't yell or swear at your kids but I did. Then I had to pay Jack a quarter because that's what you pay if you say a bad word in our house. I seem to be the only one dishing out the coin.
I tried the calm approach again and Jack said he would like to help. He vacuumed the Kitchen and Family Room. He did an excellent job. He took apart the attachments and was cleaning under the furniture. It was super cute. He really enjoys this job and I realize I need to give him more chances to do it. He also loves dusting and using Clorox Wipes. We ended up establishing a little allowance. I told him I would give him $6.00 dollars a week if he does his morning and evening "5" everyday in the week and also his other chores. He has to pay his tithing and then save half for college and he can spend the rest. He can't wait to hit the dollar store next week. Let's see if he makes it but he is very motivated. It was a learning lesson for all of us.
Thanks Nicole for the "5" idea and the allowance.
P.S. to Kim- I made it in the nick of time!
9 comments:
IT is great to have them helping. I'm missing you lots right now. The competition is on! This will be fun for me.
love the idea of the morning and evening 5- just may have to give it a try. anything to get my kids motivated to help out- we have major issues with that.
I also love the idea of morning and evening 5- I think I will use that idea in the future.
Crazy morning! I too like the morning and evening 5 idea.
I too like the idea of the morning and evening 5 do you think it would work with your Dad and Michael? Love MOM
You need to share the morning and evening 5-- it would be so nice not to tell my kids hundred times to do their chores or yelling at them for not getting it done. You see you'll not the only one who has to apologize for being a nut...something I promised not to do to my kids.
I always wonder why they can't start helping before the yelling begins. The morning 5 is a great tool.
I love chores! It is nice that my boys are old enough to do chores, too. I keep telling Heather that she is going to love it when James is old enough to do chores. We have started the allowance thing too, and it's a great thing when they want everything they see at the store to tell them if they save their money they can buy it. Some things don't seem so important then.
6 bucks. Awesome. I like how you are setting a savings plan for him too. Very important. You know Jack will be a great cleaner because he is so particular. Good work!
Post a Comment