Lately my boys have developed a fear of the basement. I have patiently (sometimes) tried to help them through this problem. I think I have finally found a solution but that is something for another blog. I have explained to them how fortunate we are to have a nice house and that we need to be grateful for it even the basement. I have explained that children all over the world don't have beds, homes, basements, and they are lucky boys. This has been a frustrating problem for all of us. It is never fun to have to boys climbing over you every night because they are scared.
Yesterday, I went to Jack's school to help in his classroom. There are a few students in the class who really struggle with their reading. One of these little boys, although he is naughty, I really like him. This boy gets no help at home with school work. We were talking and I was telling him he could practice reading at night even if he just did it on his own. I told him how Jackson will sneak a flashlight and read under the covers of his bed. His reply was that he has to sleep on the floor. They haven't had a chance to get him a bed yet. I held back my tears and tried to keep helping him. All day yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about this boy. For two days I have been trying to figure out how I could help this little boy but more than that I have been thinking how blessed we are even for things that seem ordinary and simple and how I want my boys to have some understanding of how the rest of the world lives. We are going to try harder at being grateful as a family for all of our abundance, especially the little things. So today I am thankful for my bed.
Wednesday, December 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
We are indeed truly blessed to have so much!
What a wonderful post Jess. I was teary eyed reading about the boy in Jacks class. We are truly blessed in our lives.
You guys need to stop making me cry at work. I don't even know the little boy but I want to buy him a bed.
Seriously, I think we have no idea. I try to remember to be grateful even for the seemingly small things, but they are really big things.
Poor little guy, that breaks my heart! i love my bed too. Great post.
This makes me want to cry. Can we get him a bed for Christmas?
Post a Comment